Thanks to the hard work of Education Commission and numerous volunteers, we are wrapping up an active and educational year of Sunday school classes. The children’s Godly Play program will finish on May 21, while adult Sunday Forum will continue for one more week with a discussion of The New Sanctuary Movement (9:15, May 28).
On May 14, Tony Norman led a Forum discussing the book Hillbilly Elegy, by J.D. Vance. In addition to this memoir, he suggested several other books that give historical insight and context to the role of class in American society and politics. In particular, White Trash: The-400 Year Untold History of Class in America, by Nancy Isenberg offers an extensive, and well-reviewed, consideration. Other suggestions were:
- The Gilded Rage, Alex Zaitchik
- White Working Class, Joan Williams (due out this week)
- Postcards from the Edge of America, Linh Dinh
- The End of White Christian America, Robert Jones
- The Righteous Mind, Jonathan Haidt
- White Rage: Unspoken Truth of our Racial Divide, Carol Anderson
All of our Sunday school classes will resume in September. If you are interested in helping with Godly Play or leading a Sunday Forum discussion, talk to Jaime Horst or Erica Pipitone.