Growing food and relationships on the church grounds!
We are trying to create a venue where members of PMC and Swissvale can share and experience 1) the love and knowledge of gardening, 2) a holistic view of food, 3) and accessible fresh food.
We are working to replace a large portion of the landscaping and grass around PMC with edible perennials and annual vegetable beds. Fruits, vegetables, and herbs grown at PMC feed passersby, members of PMC, and members of the larger community through food donations.
You can get involved by volunteering to water, weed, plant, or harvest in the PMC garden!
- Finish installing edible landscaping.
- Label plants to expand interaction with the larger community.
- Strengthen ties with community groups.
- Expand volunteer opportunities for PMC members and beyond.
- Community worker facilitator: coordinates volunteers from POWER and Union Baptist. Must be able to work a weekday morning with POWER women.
- Garden work planner: plans new work, coordinates church work days, monitors the gardens for needed work.
- Planter/organizer: gathers seeds and plants annuals. Works closely with the Garden Work Planner.
- Watering head: organizes watering and coordinates installation of new large rain barrel so we can stop using so much tap water!
- Grow Group head contact person: makes sure everyone is staying on task, runs meetings, monitors funding
Jackie Kehr is the leader of the Grow Group. Contact her at PMCGrowGroup@gmail.com.